However, save for a few relatively minor glitches, the priming work consumed the better part of a Saturday afternoon anchored by near perfect weather. Humidity was low and the temp in the high 60’s with almost no wind to stir up little nasties. And after a thorough round of degreasing, I started the process by masking everything I didn’t intend to prime. Learning a bit from the left side work, I was able to get good masking coverage with much less material than before without sacrificing any protection. Bonus!Another rinse with pre-prep solvent and about an hour of dry time had the surfaces ready for a cut-in and thin base coat of primer. An hour of flash time, and a second coat was applied and allowed to dry overnight. The end result was rather pleasing as everything was finally in a single, uniform color and the true contours of the panel were finally visible. Fortunately, save for a few pinholes in a few spots of filler, the surface will block out perfectly after high-build primer application and we will be in business! A few days to allow the primer to thoroughly harden will be in store as preparations begin to fit the lower valence, quarter extensions and the rear deck lid. Once this work is complete, things will start getting interesting pretty quickly as the car starts looking more like it should!
|Right quarter in full primer is a nice sight to behold. Arguably, this is one of the best angles of the 69-70 Mustang body form.|
|With clean fender lip lines and crisp body creases, this view begins to show how nice this quarter will look when fully finished.|
|A very subtle and often missed detail is the upper trunk opening corners. The filled seam is clearly visible in this shot and I love the look!|
|Another look at the front trunk lid corner opening smoothed and primed.|
|And finally, a nice look at the roof seam area of the sail panel. perfect flow with no hint there is any joint in this area.|